This is surprisingly easy to make, and you can serve it dozens of cool ways.
- 1/3 – ½ Lb. Sashimi Grade Tuna
- Sesame oil
- Sriracha Sauce
- Soy Sauce (rather than salt)
- Cut cold tuna into ¼ inch dice. Make these as uniform as possible.
- Gently toss diced tuna first with a little sesame oil to taste, then Sriracha and finally soy sauce to taste.
- Serve immediately on won ton chips, or Chinese soup spoons.
- Garnish with snips of chives or toasted sesame seeds
Tuna tartar in a cucumber cup garnished with sesame seeds and chives.
To make the towers you will need a food mold. We used a 2 3/4 inch mold for the towers pictured above. Spray the molds with cooking spray and press 1/4 of the tartar into the bottom of a mold. Cover the tartar with a little wasabi roe and cover with another 1/4 of the tuna. Cover the top with wasabi roe and garnish with sour cream. You can extend the wasabi roe by covering only the edges of the tower.
To make the cucumber cups. Cut a 3/4 inch piece of English cucumber. Using a sharp spoon, gently scoop out a portion of the seeds, leaving some for the “bottom.” Fill with the tartar and garnish with chives, sesame seeds, pickled jalapenos, ginger, wasabi cream or what ever you can dream up.