This cocktail combines spicy Rye with a hint of apple from the bitters. Add to that a touch of smooth honey syrup and you have a drink that is light on the tongue but still bitters forward. You may want to adjust the ratio of bitters to syrup depending on your taste.
Notice that this is essentially a built cocktail. I stir it in a mixing glass without ice to combine the ingredients prior to pouring it over a large ice cube in an un-chilled single old fashioned. Similar to scotch on the rocks. Initially the flavors will be strong with very little dilution. As you sip the cocktail and gently swirl it, the drink will chill and dilute.
- 2 oz. Rye whiskey such as Templeton or Sazarac
- 1 generous dash of Bar Keep Apple Bitters
- 1 barspoon of honey syrup (1 part honey, 1 part water)
- Lemon peel for garnish
- Combine the rye, bitters and honey syrup in a mixing glass without ice. Stir to combine.
- Pour over a large ice cube in an un-chilled single old fashioned.
- Express the oil from the lemon peel and drop it into the drink.