Oyster shooters are simply awesome. They are also unusual enough to impress your guests. While there are those who don’t care for them, most people like oysters. Plus, you’ll find a number of your friends haven’t tried them – raw anyway. So, plunge in!
While fresh shucked oysters are the best, the necessity of shucking is frequently the barrier that prevents the busy host from serving them. Enter the fresh, pasteurized variety, (and exit the oyster aficionado). These are probably better for cooking, but work quite well in shooters. The containers come in a variety of sizes, as will the oysters. You may want to cut particularly large oysters in half, and double up the small ones.
To build multiple shots, I suggest that you line up the glasses and make them assembly line fashion. Start with an oyster in each glass followed by the next ingredient, in the order listed.
- 1 oyster
- 2 tsp. Zing Zang (or other Bloody Mary mix)
- 1/8 tsp. Horseradish
- 1/8 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 4 drops hot sauce
- 1/4 oz. Lemon juice
- 1/4 oz. Chilled Cinco Vodka
- Chill vodka in the refrigerator for several hours or “freeze” in the freezer for an hour. See note below.
- Line up shot glasses and place an oyster in each
- Add the remaining ingredients, in the order above, to each glass
- Serve immediately
Note: Vodka will not actually freeze, so the bottle won’t break if you leave it in the freezer. Frozen vodka has a silky mouth feel.