Practically everyone who mixes drinks on any level has their own margarita recipe. Without disparaging anyone’s favorite, here is our most requested version. It is a simple but classic margarita on the rocks. We make this as a sour, shaken and served straight up without a salted rim.
This is the only drink we make using Equal. A lot of people love the idea of low calorie drinks. Since the object here is to offset the tartness of the lime, the simple sweet flavor of the Equal will work as well as sugar. Mouth feel is not an issue with this cocktail. If you do use sugar it needs to be the superfine variety. Regular granulated sugar will not dissolve well.
Beware: the sweetness hides the alcohol content.
- 2 oz. good tequila – plata, reposado, or añejo
- 2 oz. fresh lime juice
- splash of blue curacao
- 1-2 packets of Equal (1-2 tsp.) or sugar
- pinch of salt
- Chill a margarita glass with a few ice cubes and water
- To a shaker add all of the ingredients.
- Shake with ice until shaker is frosted 10-15 sec
- Strain over fresh ice cubes in chilled glass