From the middle of the last century, the martini became basically gin or vodka on the rocks. The vermouth that originally was prominent, became a splash or even a wash. This is how to make that cocktail.
- 1 1/2 oz. Dry London gin such as Bombay Sapphire or Vodka
- Fresh Dry Vermouth
- An olive for garnish
- Chill a martini glass with ice and water
- Fill a mixing glass with ice and add a splash of dry vermouth and swirl the glass.
- emtpty the vermouth but retain the ice.
- Add the Gin or Vodka and stir to chill.
- Strain into the chilled glass and drop in the olive.