I saw these made on a cooking show a couple of years ago. It was one of those where the directions were incomplete and vague. This is my version. We use several different types of olives so it becomes a Forest Gump, box of chocolates thing.
Makes about 2 dozen
Time: 20 minutes active, 1 hour 45 minutes total
- 1 Cup flour
- 1/3 Cup cheddar cheese – shredded
- 2 Tbls. cold butter
- ½ Tsp. cayenne
- ½ Tsp. salt
- ¼ Cup plus more water
- Assorted olives
- 4 Tbls. white sesame seeds
- 4 Tbls. black sesame seeds
- To the bowl of a food processor or mixer fitted with a dough blade/hook, add the flour, cayenne, salt, butter and cheddar cheese. Pulse a few times, scrapping down the sides until the butter is in little grains.
- Add ¼ cup water and pulse to combine. Add additional water, 1 Tbls. at a time, pulsing after each, until a dough just forms.
- Turn the dough onto plastic wrap, form into a log and refrigerate for 30 minutes – 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 450o
- While the dough chills, drain the olives.
- Combine the sesame seeds in a small dish
- Cut the dough into coins and flatten with your fingers. Wrap dough around individual olives. Roll the poppers in the sesame seeds and arrange them on a parchment paper covered sheet pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Cool slightly and serve.