I learned the basis for this one on a beach in Mexico.
- 4 – 28 oz. cans whole tomatoes – see note
- 1 large onion peeled and quartered
- 3 cloves garlic
- 5 Chipotles in Adobo
- 1 tsp. Adobo sauce from the chilies
- 1 bunch Cilantro washed, with the long stems torn off.
- Line a sheet pan fitted with a rack with aluminum foil. Place the rack in the sheet pan
- Drain the tomatoes and reserve the liquid
- Blacken the tomatoes under a broiler, 20 – 30 minutes depending on the size of the tomatoes.
- Place all of the ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and process until everything is thoroughly chopped. Add a little reserved tomato water if the salsa is too thick.
- Serve. Will keep refrigerated for about a week.
Note: You can substitute 8 lbs. of fresh tomatoes. Remove the skins, cut them in half and roast them on the grill cut side down. This is a lot more trouble but the salsa will have a nice smoky flavor.