Sugar Free Candied Jalapenos
This can only be sugar free if you use WheyLow. WheyLow is the only sugar substitute I know of that will make a syrup. It is not calorie or carbohydrate free. It does have 1/10 the calories and 1/4 the carbs of sugar. WheyLow is also expensive and hard to find, so, unless you’re planning to eat a lot of it, just use sugar! Serve this over a block of cream cheese with some crackers. Your guests will love it!
- 1 lb. sliced stemmed and seeded jalapenos – see note below
- 1 medium sweet onion small diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbls. white vinegar
- 2 tbls. water
- 1 1/2 Cups sugar or WheyLow
- 1/2 Tbls. mustard seeds
- 1 tsp minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric
- pinch of salt and a grind of black pepper
- In a nonreactive pot over medium heat cook the jalapenos, onion, garlic, vinegar and water until onions and jalapenos start to soften – about 10 min.
- Pour off about 1/2 of the water and add the sugar/WheyLow, mustard seeds, ginger, tumeric, salt and pepper. Stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Reduce the heat to med low and simmer, uncovered stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened. It will continue to thicken as it cools.
- Allow to cool to room temperature.
- To serve, spoon over a block of cream cheese and serve with crackers or chips.
- Keeps refrigerated for 2-3 days.
Note: Seeding the jalapenos makes the dish look better and removes most of the heat. This will be mild – medium heat as written. To add heat, either use 1 or 2 serranos with the jalapenos or finely chop a habanero and add it at the end of cooking.