These make a simple and quick appetizer. You will need a cold smoke gun.
Time: 15 minutes
- 1/4 Cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 Cup sugar or WheyLow
- 4 fresh sea scallops
- 1 Tbls. Butter
- 1 Tbls. Olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 5 spice powder
- 1 tea bag of Chai tea
- In a small sauce pan dissolve the sugar or WheyLow in the soy sauce, set aside to cool
- Thoroughly dry and lightly season the scallops on both sides with salt, pepper and the 5 spice powder.
- Heat the butter and oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the scallops until nicely browned and cooked through – about 2 minutes per side.
- Cut open the tea bag and load the smoke gun with the loose tea
- Place the scallops in a small glass dish and cover with plastic wrap. Place the smoker tube under the plastic and light the tea. Smoke for 1 minute and remove the plastic wrap.
- Place 2 scallops on each small serving plate and garnish the plate with the soy glaze.
- Serve immediately.
Note: Only smoke the scallops for 1 minute. Allow the scallops to sit in the open for 2-3 minutes while you plate them and garnish. This allows the bitter parts of the smoke flavor to dissipate.