This is my entry into the MixologyMonday LXXXIX, hosted by abarabove. September’s theme is “The Unknown.” The challenge is to venture out and do something new. So I have chosen Kahlua Midnight and pecan infused tequila.
This drink is a testament to the fact that my wife and I are not good together in a liquor store. Thus, not so very long ago in a liquor store not so very far away, she walks up to me and I point out a bottle of Ancho Reyes and say, “If you weren’t here, I’d buy this.” Her response as she wonders down the aisle is, “Oh! We have to get this Hibiscus Liqueur.” Then we both spot the Kahlua Midnight. We ended up buying all three. This is why I usually stop by the liquor store on the way home from work. It’s less expensive.
The Ancho Reyes and Hibiscus liqueur were tried immediately with good results. I’ve been thinking about the Kahlua Midnight. Coffee, at least in my mind, goes with chocolate and pecans. This led back to my thoughts of trying to infuse something with nuts. Thus the Tequila Moonlight.
In the creation of this, I compared silver, reposado and anjeo tequilas combined with Cocchi Rosa, Dolan Sweet Vermouth, Punt e Mes, and Lillet Rouge. The reposado and Cocci Rosa won with the sweet vermouth a close second. The Punt e Mes was too bitter and the Lillet too mild.
I tried using nitrogen cavitation to infuse the tequila with pecan, cocoa and bitter orange. The cocoa and orange came through but the pecan flavor was missing. It took 7 days in a mason jar to adequately infuse the pecan flavor.
So here’s the drink:
- 1 1/2 oz. Pecan Infused Milagro Reposado Tequila – see below
- 3/4 oz. Cocchi Rosa
- 1/2 oz. Kahlua Midnight
- Garnish: brandied cherry such as Luxardo and an orange zest
- Chill a cocktail glass with ice and water
- Stir all of the ingredients, except the garnish, with ice in a mixing glass.
- Strain into chilled cocktail glass
- Drop the cherry into the drink, express the oils from the orange zest over the drink and drop it in.
Pecan Infused Tequila
- 8 oz. Milagro Reposado Tequila
- 1/3 cup toasted pecans, roughly chopped
- 1/2 tbs Cocoa nibs
- 1/2 tbs Dried bitter orange peel (available on line)
Combine all ingredients in a mason jar and seal. Store in a cool place, shaking daily, for 5-7 days. Pass through a fine mesh strainer, followed by a gold coffee filter and finally a paper coffee filter. Decant into a bottle. Will keep indefinitely, but the flavor will fade after a few months.