A classic, pre-prohibition cocktail, created to honor the brand new heroes of aviation. It was invented by Hugo Ensslin, head bartender at the Hotel Wallick in New York sometime in the early 1900’s. He included it in his 1916 book Recipes for Mixed Drinks. I have changed this recipe to conform to his original. I also found that, depending on the sweetness of the lemon juice, 2 – 3 drops of lemon bitters works well.
- 2 oz. Plymouth Gin
- 1 oz. lemon juice
- ½ oz. Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur
- ½ oz. Crème de Violette**
- 2-3 drops of lemon bitters – optional
- Chill cocktail glass with ice and water
- Add all ingredients to shaker
- Shake well with ice 10 – 15 sec.
- Strain into chilled glass
** Not Creme Yvette, which is purple but tastes different