New York Sour
This has become one of my favorite sours. If we have a bottle of red wine open, it’s the first cocktail I consider. The egg white makes a velvety mouth feel and the large ice cube in the shaker creates a nice texture. Use a full bodied, fruity wine such as Merlot.
- 1 1/2 oz. Russel’s 10 Year Old Reserve Bourbon
- 1 oz. Fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 oz. Simple syrup
- 1 Egg white
- 1/4 – 1/2 oz. Red wine
- Lemon peel for garnish
- Add bourbon, lemon juice, simple syrup and the egg white to a shaker and shake, without ice, for 30 seconds to break up the egg white.
- Add 3 regular ice cubes plus one large cube * to the shaker and shake for 10-15 seconds until well chilled.
- Double strain into a chilled coup
- Using the back of your bar spoon, float the wine on the drink.
- Express the lemon oils from the peel over the drink and discard the peel.
* Use a 1 1/2 – 2 inch cube plus 3 regular cubes or you can just use all regular cubes.