Lemon or Lime Sour
I prefer a ratio of 2:1 juice to simple syrup. I have seen 1:1 and 3:1. If you like sour/tartness, reduce the simple syrup and/or add more juice. If you like it sweeter, do the opposite. Also, since fruit varies in flavor, always taste your mix and adjust accordingly.
If I am making only 1 or 2 drinks, I just use a 2:1 juice : simple syrup. When we are entertaining, I make up a bottle that morning. It will begin to degrade after a day.
- 1 cup Simple syrup
- 2 cups fresh lime juice or
- 2 cups fresh lemon juice
- 4.5 Tbls. pasteurized egg white – optional see Note
- Combine all ingredients in a pitcher or bottle.
- Add additional fruit juice or simple syrup to taste.
- It is ready for immediate use and will keep, refrigerated for a day.
Note: Adding egg white will add depth and create very frothy drinks when shaken or blended. You can substitute 1 ½ fresh egg whites if your not worried about salmonella.