Coup d Or
It seems that any cocktail containing gin and Lillet gets labeled as a Vesper. Other than the gin and Lillet, this drink is not even close to 007’s original concoction in Casino Royale. It is, however, delicious and visually stunning, which goes along with this season of glitz and glamor. We combine the herbal flavors of the St George Botanivore Gin with the citrus and floral Lillet and the earthy bitterness of Kina L’ Avion d Or.
The St George Botanivore Gin is perfect for this cocktail. St George uses 19 botanicals with the juniper taking a back seat. The nose of this cocktail is a combination of the herbaceous gin and the citrus, grape and orange of the Lillet with the woodsy aroma of the Kina. The flavors are citrus, herb with a hint of juniper, marmalade and a touch of bitterness cleaning up the finish.
The recipe is:
- 1 1/2 oz. St George Botanivore Gin (sub Hendricks)
- 3/4 oz. Lillet Blanc
- 1/4 oz. Kina L’ Avion d Or
- For the garnish
- 1 Pickled green tomato – see note
- 1 Lemon peel
- Chill a cocktail glass with ice and water
- Combine the gin, Lillet and Kina in a mixing glass with ice and stir to chill
- Strain into the chilled glass
- Garnish with the pickled green tomato, express the lemon peel over the drink and float the peel.
Note: The pickle green tomato works very well and is especially tasty after bathing in the drink. We found them at World Market. You can substitute an olive.