This month’s theme for Mixology Monday is Orange Juice, brought to us from the host of MxMo 101, DJ Hawaiian Shirt of the Spirited Remix blog. And, not just “Orange,” but Orange Juice. I think this month’s challenge is great because we love OJ! The first drink I thought of is the Potted Parrot, and second is a cocktail I created a few years ago that, in addition to OJ, has Wild Turkey 101. Somehow that number 101 seems appropriate as well! I wanted to contribute something original but I’ll get back to that in a minute. The first drink is:
Wild Turkey in Heat
This cocktail is a bourbon and orange sour with the almond sweetness of the orgeat and the kick of habanero. The name originated during a family ski trip to Steamboat Springs a number of years ago. We always ate dinner at the Tugboat Saloon on our first night and, so, cold and tired, I spotted a bottle of Wild Turkey behind the bar. I asked the waitress if they had Wild Turkey 101. She replied, “Yes.” To which I said, “I’ll have that neat.” She then repeated my order, “A Wild Turkey neat.” Now, from the other end of the table, with great incredulity, our teenage daughter asked: “What’s a Wild Turkey in Heat?”
- 2 oz. Wild Turkey 101
- 2 ½ oz. Orange juice
- ¾ oz. Lemon juice
- ¼ oz. orgeat
- a dash of 2:1 simple syrup or ¼ oz. regular simple syrup
- 2 dashes Bittermans Habanero Shrub
- Chill a Double Old Fashioned glass with ice and water
- Add all ingredients to shaker and shake with ice
- Add unstrained to chilled Double Old Fashioned
This is our cocktail especially concocted for MxMo CI. I don’t often create desert drinks but I began by imagining the flavors of a chocolate covered, orange rum ball to be savored accompanied by a cup of coffee. Here is the formula for this sweet orange indulgence:
- 2 oz. Premium white rum
- 4 oz. Fresh orange juice
- 1/2 oz. Creme de Cacao – white
- 1/2 oz. Licor 43
- Coffee foam – see below (This drink does require a whipped cream maker. If you don’t have one, you really should get one, for this drink and others!)
- Chill a fancy cocktail glass with ice and water
- Combine rum, OJ, Creme de Cacao and Liquor 43 in a shaker with ice and shake to chill
- Strain into chilled cocktail glass
- Float foam over the drink and serve
For the Coffee Foam
- 3 egg whites, 9 Tbl or 4 ½ oz. pasteurized egg whites (see note)
- 3 oz. Tia Maria
- 2 oz. orange juice double strained
- 1 dash Regans Orange Bitters
- Lightly whip egg whites – be fairly aggressive if using fresh
- Add all ingredients to whipped cream charger
- Secure top and shake a few times to further break up the egg whites and combine ingredients.
- Double charge with N2O, shaking 4-5 times between charges. Over shaking can cause ingredients to clump and clog charger.
- Chill for at least 1 hour before use.
- Keeps a few days refrigerated.
Note: Pasteurized egg whites work best – the plain variety, not the yellow dyed brand. The fresh egg whites will not keep as long and they can make a foam that clumps. If you use fresh egg whites, beat them pretty well to break up the protein strands.
And last but not least, the Potted Parrot. I like this Tiki drink and we usually include it as a choice for our guests when we break out the little umbrellas!
This is one of Trader Vic’s original’s.
- 2 oz. Cruzan white rum
- 2 oz. orange juice
- 1 oz. lemon juice
- ½ oz. curacao
- ¼ oz. simple syrup
- ¼ oz. orgeat
- 12 oz. crushed ice
- Shake all ingredients with crushed ice
- Pour unstrained into tall glass
That’s our MxMo for this month.