When making orgeat, you start with almonds and make almond milk. So, why not start with almond milk! Plus, commercial almond milk is supposedly made from bitter almonds which contains benzaldehyde which is tasty. They also yield cyanide, which is why you can’t buy them at the local store!
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened almond milk
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 oz. 100 proof vodka (optional but it will help preserve your orgeat)
- 2 Tbls. Orange Flower Water
- In a small pot over medium-low heat, bring the almond milk and sugar to a near boil, stirring frequently. As soon as the mixture begins to boil, it turns to foam. Try to hold the temperature just below boiling until the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour the mixture through a sieve into a heat proof bowl or quart measuring cup. (this will help remove any undissolved sugar). Allow to cool to room temperature
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Store in a bottle in the refrigerator. Keeps a month.
- Shake well before using.