We have used agave or maguey worm salt, (Sal de Gusano) in versions of mezcal and tequila Manhattans. The Sal de Gusano gives the drink a slight salinity and a savory background note. I’ve seen a Black Cat recipe that included Old Tom Gin, Mezcal and grapefruit. So, never being reluctant to mess with recipes, we’ve come up with a version of Old Tom Gin/Mezcal Manhattan with the grapefruit aperitif, Caperitif.
For this cocktail, we have chosen Barr Hill Tom Cat Gin. This Old Tom style gin is distilled with juniper as the only botanical, barrel aged in new American Oak, then sweetened with raw honey. The Mezcal we selected is Mezcalero No. 12, which was made from wild agave. Together they create a very pleasant cocktail. The nose is juniper with a touch of smoke and floral notes. The taste is juniper, honey, and a bit of wood. The finish is slightly sweet and savory.
- 1 oz. Barr Hill Tom Cat Gin
- 1 oz. Mezcalero Mezcal
- 1 oz. Sweet Vermouth – we used Dolin
- 1/4 oz. Caperitif
- 1 pinch sal de gusano
- Chill a cocktail glass with ice and water
- Combine all ingredients, except the sal de gusano, in a mixing glass with ice. Add the sal de gusano and stir to chill.
- Double strain into the chilled cocktail glass